top of page

PR Application

Permanent Residence & Citizenship

PR Renewal Application

PRTD Application

Citizenship Application

Apply for, renew or replace a PR card: How to apply

If your PR card isn’t ready before you leave Canada or if you’re outside Canada without a valid PR card, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD). After you return to Canada, apply for a PR card.

Follow these steps to apply for a permanent resident (PR) card. If you forget something, your application will be sent back to you. You will then have to submit a new application.

Since we don’t refund the processing fees, make sure you are eligible before you apply.

1. Get the application package


The application package includes a guide and all the forms you need to complete to apply for a PR card. Read the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly. Use the Document Checklist (IMM 5644) (opens in new tab)  to make sure you don’t forget anything.

Include with your application:

  • your PR card:

    • If you are applying to renew your card, keep your current card and include a photocopy of it with your application.

    • If you are applying to replace a card because it is damaged or the information on it is wrong, send the card with your application.

  • a clear copy of:

    • your valid passport or travel document, or

    • the passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident

  • two photos that meet our photo specifications

  • any other identity documents listed in the Document Checklist (see the application package),

  • a copy of the receipt for the processing fee, and

  • solemn declaration if your PR card was lost, stolen, destroyed or you didn’t receive it within 180 days of immigrating to Canada.

Make sure your photos follow our specifications. Print our photograph specifications (PDF, 204 KB) and bring it with you when you have your photos taken.

2. Pay your application fees


You must pay the PR card application fee online.

To pay your fees online, you need:

After you pay, print your receipt and include it with your application.

3. Submit your application

Make sure you:

Send your application and payment to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Case Processing Centre — PR Card
P.O. Box 10020

Case Processing Centre – PR Card
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, NS
B1P 5Z2


Source : Government of Canada

bottom of page