top of page

Spousal Open Work Permit

Non Immigration

Spousal/Common Law Partner Open Work Permit (SOWP)

If your common-law partner or spouse is currently studying or working in Canada, you may be eligible for an open work permit. This Spousal work permit gives you the ability to come, stay and work for any employer in Canada.

An open work permit makes it much easier to find jobs in Canada as the employer now doesn’t need to provide you with an LMIA. The Spousal Open Work Permit is also a great pathway to Canadian Permanent Residency. It allows you to acquire valid work experience, which can then be used to gain extra points for the Permanent Residency Immigration Programs. 

You can be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit if your spouse is: 

  • A skilled worker in Canada working under NOC skill type O, A or B classifications and has a valid work permit

  • An International Student at a university, college or post-secondary school and has a valid study permit

  • Applying for the AIPP (Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program) in NOC skill type O, A or B classifications

  • A foreign military member residing and working inside Canada

  • A foreign representative in Canada


The spousal open work permit can be applied from both inside and outside Canada, depending on your location.


Applying from outside Canada will also require you to obtain a visa to enter Canada as the work permit itself only allows you to stay and does not give you access to enter and re-enter alone.

Want to apply for a Spousal open work permit in Canada?

bottom of page